Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What hours are City Hall open?

A. 8:00am to 4:30pm CST


Q. How do I contact City Hall?

A. Our telephone number is 320-269-6575. You can also email us at


Q. Who can list their events on Channel 180?

A. Only non-profit organizations may list their events on Channel 180. If you would like to list your event email your information to or call 320-269-6575.


Q. I would like to camp in Lagoon Park. When is it open and how much does it cost?

A. Lagoon Park is open from May 1st – November 1st each year. It costs $20 per night to camp. Fees are paid either directly to the City Hall help desk or in the deposit box in front of City Hall after business hours.


Q. Where can I get a building permit?

A. A full listing of our permits is located here on our website. You can also contact the Building Department at City Hall at 320-269-6575.


Q. What are the Utility Service Providers in Montevideo and how do I contact them?

A. City of Montevideo Sewer and Water- 320-269-6575

 City of Montevideo Garbage Collection (to line up weekly service, purchase additional  garbage tags, and make payments to City Hall)- 320-269-6575

Tostenson’s (Rent Dumpsters and City Garbage Dump Site)- 320-269-7243

Great Plains Natural Gas-1-877-267-4764

Xcel Energy- 800-895-4999

Charter Communications- 888-438-2427


Q. Who do I call to mark my utility lines?

A. Gopher One will mark your utility lines for no charge. Go to or call 800-252-1166 or 651- 454-0002.


Q. What is the phone number for the State Electrical Inspector?

A. Bruce Haugen- 320- 235-0561


Q. Where is the License Bureau and how do I get a hold of them?

A. The Chippewa County License Bureau information is:

            Open: Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm

            Located at: 629 North 11th Street, Montevideo, MN 56265

            Telephone: 320-269-6035

            Fax: 320-269-8120


Q. Who do I call for a bus ride in Montevideo?

A. Prairie Five Rides can be contacted at (320) 269-6578.